I saw Hamilton this weekend! I want to put it all caps because I’m screaming this entire post. Finally. Finally!! I was supposed to go with my mom last April, but the show was cancelled due to Covid. It was eventually rescheduled, then that was cancelled too. So, when it was announced that the show would actually go on, I was afraid to believe it.
Luckily, third times a charm and I got to see the wildly popular musical Hamilton currently in Los Angeles. I was so excited and hopeful that it lived up to the hype. And that’s a huge challenge because everything I’ve heard is over-the-top rave reviews and how it was impossible to get tickets for years. Whoa.
I originally wanted to see Hamilton for the first time live and in person, but when Disney+ released it last year I caved and watched it one time. That was months ago though, so I think I had a pretty clean slate for the musical. I think that was a good idea – I was familiar with how the story was told, but didn’t have it memorized so I wasn’t comparing.
But, since this weekend’s show I’ve watched it on Disney+ again and plan on keeping it on in the background whenever I need some inspirational background noise.
The moral of this story is – I loved it.
Now, I’m sharing a quick list of the best Hamilton quotes from the musical. But first, my favorite things about finally getting to see Hamilton in person.
1. Having an excuse to dress up and wear make-up. I didn’t so much as go out to eat somewhere that had outside dining for almost a year. I really really reeeeeaaallllyyyy was locked down last year. So, actually putting on make-up and a dress feels foreign and familiar at the same time.
2. I ran 14 miles that morning and used the time in traffic to ice my knees. Boom.
3. My mom invited Ben to join us, I think because he went to Princeton like Aaron Burr. Maybe she thought they were in the same class and Ben is some kind of time traveler??!
4. Hamilton is playing in Los Angeles at the Pantages Theater. You’re required to show proof of vaccination to attend the show. And masks are required to be worn while inside the theater at all times. There are ushers walking around with signs to remind you, but everyone seemed to follow the rules.
5. Dat me.
Now in no particular order – here are my favorite Hamilton quotes (that may change as I watch it obsessively)…
11. “Rise up!” – Alexander Hamilton
10.“Dying is easy young man, living is harder.” – George Washington
9. “Talk less. Smile more.” – Aaron Burr
Why’d Burr get a bad rap for telling him to be a better listener? I thought that was good.
8. “Love doesn’t discriminate between the sinners and the saints.” – Aaron Burr
7. “Life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness. We fought for these ideals we shouldn’t settle for less.” – Thomas Jefferson
6. “Look around, look around, at how lucky we are to be alive right now.” – Eliza Hamilton
5. “You’ll be back like before
I will fight the fight and win the war
For your love, for your praise
And I’ll love you ’til my dying days
When you’re gone, I’ll go mad
So don’t throw away this thing we had
‘Cause when push comes to shove
I will kill your friends and family to remind you of my love” – King George singing You’ll Be Back
Okay, okay you caught me – King George is my favorite part of the musical. But he’s the bad guy so I didn’t put him as number one.
4. “Immigrants, we get the job done!” — Alexander Hamilton and Marquis de Lafayette
3. “You want a revolution? I want a revelation. So, listen to my declaration: ‘We hold these truths to be self-evident that all men are created equal.’ And when I meet Thomas Jefferson, I’m ‘a compel him to include women in the sequel!” – Angelica Schuyler
What if Angelica wasn’t even into Hamilton? He just thought that and was feeling her out with the comma in the letter?!
2. “I may not live to see our glory. But I will gladly join the fight. And when our children tell our story, they’ll tell the story of tonight.”
– Alexander Hamilton
Applies to today. Think about it.
1.“I’m just like my county. I’m young, scrappy and hungry.” – Alexander Hamilton
Have you seen Hamilton the Musical in person?
Have you watched it on Disney+?
What’s your favorite part?!